Friday, May 30, 2014

Failure to Pack

It's time to let you all in on a not-so-well-guarded secret of mine: I am among the world's worst procrastinators. I like to think it's just a part of my creative process (just let me enjoy my delusion), but the older I get, the more I realize that this is becoming a problem. A big one. A not-so-gentle reminder of that happened last night/this morning.

Yesterday was my last full day in the States. To celebrate, my sister and I went to see X-Men: Days of Future Past (Peter Dinklage is my hero). After, we had a small family dinner for my birthday. As a result, I didn't start packing until 9:30 or 10 last night. I can hear you all now: "But Catie, you've had weeks and weeks to prepare! Why didn't you start sooner?" Well the answer is simply that I'm lazy. That, and I had to do a test Skype session with Calvin. Which may or may not have been a excuse to procrastinate.

Despite the fact that I was still packing 20 minutes before we left for the airport, I think (hope/pray) that I managed to remember everything. I even managed to fit a gift for a certain special German (*cough cough* Maren) and my host family's kids. Furthermore, my luggage was under the weight limit, contrary to my dad's prediction. I should have taken a picture, because it's really quite a feat of packing. Perhaps I'll include one in the next post. But in the meantime, here's my view from the airport.


Soon I'll be on this plane hurdling through the air over the Atlantic Ocean to meet and live with complete strangers and speak a different language. Intimidating as it is and anxious as I am, I really can't wait.

4 comments:

  1. Too funny, Catie. I'M the world's worst procrastinator. It is a vice, but if you have to have a vice, there are far worse, believe me. It's probably fundamental, buried somewhere deeply in your DNA. You can take steps to modify it, but my guess is that you, like me, will be a procrastinator for the rest of your life. And if you ever find out the secret to packing, let me know. After more trips abroad than I can remember since 1967, I still haven't quite figured it out. I, too, put it off until the last minute, although it's usually done the morning of the day I have to leave for the airport, not with twenty minutes to spare. :) I do know after all these years that packing doesn't actually take me all that much time. In September of 1987, I left for a sabbatical year in the former Soviet Union. I packed for the year on the morning that I was supposed to leave. It's been a while, but it didn't take much more than an hour, maybe an hour and a half. That's when I learned not to sweat it too much for trips of shorter duration. It becomes trickier when you have to worry about layering, if you're traveling in between seasons or to a place where it will be warm during the day and then chilly as soon as the sun sets. We procrastinators always tell ourselves that we work better under pressure. Maybe that's true. Maybe not. I think you're onto something when you mention laziness. It's also about putting off unpleasant tasks for more pleasant ones that are closer at hand. That might explain putting off writing a term paper or studying for a test, but it doesn't really explain putting off packing for some wonderful adventure abroad. I don't really understand the psychology of procrastination, but I do know that it will always be with me. I'm 63 now. I'll never change. My guess is that thirty years from now, you, too, will still be procrastinating. Get used to it! :) Like I said, there are far worse other vices a person can have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Wishes and I would like to see pictures! Be safe and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaay, a certain special German is excited to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete